- Success Stories
- Bariatric Surgery
- Bariatric Facilities
- Bariatric Surgeon
- Dr. Fernando Garcia – Tijuana
- Dr. Alejandro Cardenas – Plastic Surgery – Monterrey
- Dr. Alejandro López – Bariatric Surgery – Tijuana/Puerto Vallarta
- Contact Us
Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery
Enhance quality of life.
Tired of all the numerous problems that come with being overweight? Is it hard to move quickly, look good enough, or do simple things like jogging or climbing stairs? The good news is that it is possible to live life on individualistic terms by just taking one life-altering step in the right direction.
Gastric bypass surgery gives the freedom to live a better life. When obesity doesn’t respond to changed diet and regular exercise, then weight loss surgery is the only solution.
What is Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery?
Also known as RNY Gastric Bypass and Gastric Bypass, Roux-en-Y Surgery is a laparoscopic bariatric surgery done with many techniques. Despite the variable types of the surgery, its concept is to do excessive stomach stapling to form small pouches opening in distal parts of the intestine bypassing a great part of the stomach.
The amount of food you consume at a given meal gets reduced due to a limited space in the stomach pouch and to the time it takes to chew the food. This in turn will help you with weight loss
- This surgical procedure requires general anesthesia (being completely “put under”),
- The stomach is surgically divided in two, creating a small pouch that will act as the “new” stomach
- Staples seal both the “old” and “new” stomachs
- The small intestine is disconnected from the “old” stomach, which is sealed by staples
- The new stomach is safely connected by staples to the detached small intestine
The most commonly performed bariatric procedure in the USA is Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP). This is due to its effective long-term weight loss and treatment of co-morbidities, as well as the fact that it is being increasingly performed laparoscopically. 1
Benefits of Roux en Y Gastric Bypass Surgery?
This procedure is usually done for obese persons with Body Mass Index BMI over 40 or with less BMI but with obesity related disease. The operation is not a magical cure for obesity but it is a step forward. It can decrease your weight significantly within few weeks to months.
Advantages of the Laparoscopic RNY – Gastric Bypass Procedure
- Most people lose about 10 to 20 pounds a month in the first year following the procedure.
- One year after surgery, weight loss can average 65% to 80% of excess body weight. After 10 to 14 years, some patients have maintained 50-60% of excess body weight loss.
- 96% of certain associated health conditions (back pain, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, diabetes and depression) were improved or resolved according to a 2000 study of 500 patients. It also helps in leg swelling, high cholesterol, urinary incontinence etc.
- Comorbidities accompanying morbid obesity may also be corrected if the surgery is performed.
Disadvantages of RNY Gastric Bypass Surgery
Just like any surgery, gastric bypass involves a set of risks. Risks common to all surgeries for weight loss include:
- Infection in the incision
- Leak from the stomach into the abdominal cavity or where the intestine is connected which may lead to peritonitis
- Blood clot in the lung
- Ulcers also develop 5 to 15% of the time
Also be advised that Lap-Band Surgery and Gastric Sleeve Surgery may also work for you.
- Start Atkins diet for 2 weeks before the surgery to reduce the fat around your liver.
- Make sure to be on a regular intake of clear fluids 48 hours before surgery.
- You must cleanse your colon before surgery by taking magnesium citrate or Colyte.
- Stop any medication unless indicated and recommended by your doctor.
- Stop any herbal medication and over the counter medications for headache or allergy or other similar conditions 7 days before the surgery.
Post-operative lifestyle & dietary modifications:
- A restriction of eating for one to two days to allow the stomach to heal may be required, to be followed by a specific diet for about 12 weeks.
- Activities can be resumed after the patient can move around without a lot of pain usually in 3 to 5 weeks.
- Follow the exercise and nutrition guidelines established by the physician and the dietitian to lose weight and avoid complications of the procedure.
Gastric Bypass surgery is a proven and effective way for morbidly obese patients to lose weight and keep it off, but it is only a “tool” and not a “magic cure”.
Recognizing and accepting this enables patients to use the gastric bypass to achieve the goals of weight loss and maintenance. With this sustained weight loss comes unlimited benefits with the most important being improvement or complete elimination of medical problems related to obesity. Pre and post operative care in bariatric surgery ensures speedy recovery with long term sustainable results. Eat the correct diet after gastric bypass surgery.
Why hold back when you can race ahead and be in control of your life once again? With weight loss surgery you can lead a normal life just the way you want it!
Please contact a Care Coordinator for additional details.